The CEF in Action - How did the battles and fighting of World War One affect us as a nation?
In yesterday's class we be spent some time examining 4 key battles in detail - Ypres, Somme, Vimy Ridge, and Passchendaele. It is important that we understand the basics about these wars, but also their significance. Which battle was characterized by the first use of biological weapons in WWI? Which battle was the first to utilize the power of tank warfare? Which battle was considered to be Canada's greatest victory in the Great War? Keep these ideas in mind as we move forward in the term.
Activity: Use the internets...
PART ONE: Examine trench warfare up close. Take a look at the 4 virtual tours by the BBC.
Dog Fight Virtual Tour Trenches - Front Lines Virtual Tour
PART TWO: Choose one of the following topics below, and then answer the questions for the topic by commenting on this post. NOTE: You must leave your first/last name to receive marks & your post will not appear until I have approved it. You only need to send it once. You will receive a mark out of 5 for your post - you will be assessed on your level of analysis and your clarity. Please spell-check your answer, and indicate which topic you chose.
Topics: CHOOSE ONE AND RESPOND.
- Click on the link and choose a minimum of 2 different topics to read about from the lists.
- In your post, comment on at least TWO things that you found interesting.
- Skim the article, and write down 2 things that you found interesting about shell-shock, and its impact on the soldiers and/or their families.
- Skim the article, and comment on whether or not you believe that corporal punishment should have been used to punish soldiers in WWI. Explain your reasoning.
- Read over the introduction, and then select the section 2 "Tanks on the Western Front" and one other section of your choice.
- Comment on 2 interesting things that you learned about tanks.
Go to the Fun and Games section on the right side of the blog and play the trench warfare game. It's pretty fun.